Information for residents

Home » Resident Zone » Information for residents

You should be able to find all the information you need about living at the Foyer on this section of the website. If anyone has any questions, you can talk firstly to your key-worker, but any member of staff can signpost you in the right direction.

Your licence agreement gives full details of our house rules, but you can’t go far wrong if you remember the basics in the section below. You have rights too and you can find out here what to do if you have a complaint or how to appeal against termination of licence.

Apart from the Life Academy, there’s also information here about how to progress whilst you’re living at the Foyer and how to achieve successful resettlement.

What to do if you have concerns about abuse or being bullied.

This bit’s about what to do when things aren’t going so well.

Abuse? What’s that all about?

Sometimes people may take advantage of you and bully you or try to get you to do something that you don’t want to do. If things like this happen, it can make you feel bad about yourself, but we can do something to help.

If you want to chat about something that has happened, you can come and talk with your key-worker, and we’ll agree a way forward with you.

If you’re worried about something else, you can tell that to your key-worker too.

You haven’t done anything wrong, so don’t suffer in silence. Come and talk.

House rules

Your licence agreement gives full details of our house rules or you can click here, but you can’t go far wrong if you:

  • Respect your neighbours
  • Keep the noise down and don’t disturb others
  • Don’t get drunk or use illegal drugs
  • Aren’t violent
  • Respect your home – don’t damage stuff
  • Make sure your visitors keep the rules

What to do if you have a complaint

At YMCA Crewe, we want to provide the best possible service. To do this, we need to know how you feel about our services and we therefore welcome your comments.

Please pick up a complaints form from Customer Services (Reception) or from the support office. A friend, relative or member of staff will help you complete it if you wish. You will have a response within a week.

If you’re not happy with the response to your complaint, you can write to the Chief Executive Officer; again, you’ll have a response within a week.

Whatever your complaint is, it will be reported to the Board so that the Directors can consider what improvements we could make and whether we need to change any of our policies or procedures.

Want to appeal against termination of your licence?

If you’ve been told that your stay at the Foyer has come to an end and you want to appeal against that, ask a member of staff for an appeal form. If you want help filling it in, just ask. Hand it in to Customer Services (Reception) as soon as possible and a senior member of staff will get back to you within 48 hours.

You and your key-worker (what support will I get?)

We want you to make the most of your time at the Foyer, so a named member of staff will be your main point of contact and work alongside you. That’s your key-worker! You can arrange to meet with your key-worker for support as often as you need but there are some important milestones for you be aware of…

Within 3 days of you moving in, your key-worker will meet with you to go through your Foyer Induction. This checks you have all the basics covered like your housing benefit claim, enough food/toiletries and that you know your way around the building as well as the house rules.

Then within 2 weeks of you moving in, your key-worker will meet with you again to draw up a support plan based on your needs in the following areas:

  • Economic Wellbeing e.g. benefits, debts, employment
  • Enjoy and Achieve e.g. apprenticeships, volunteering, hobbies, relationships
  • Be Healthy e.g. physical fitness, mental health, alcohol and other substances
  • Staying Safe e.g. anti-social behaviour, probation, social services, safeguarding
  • Lifeskills and Tenancy Management e.g. timekeeping, budgeting, housekeeping, personal hygiene, cooking and tenancy management

In week 6, your key-worker will meet with you to discuss your resettlement. You can find more information about this in the section below.

After 2 months, you’ll have a very fun and special meeting with your key-worker where you find out all the talents and nice qualities that other staff have spotted in you! You’ll think about the things that you’re good at, and use them to set goals you want to achieve that will be outlined in your Talent Development Plan.

Your support plan and talent development plan will then be reviewed every 4 months. These plans are kept in your folder in the GLO room but you can ask to see them or for a copy to be made.

Besides all this, your key-worker can direct and support you in accessing other services such as:

  • community drug and alcohol teams
  • counselling
  • debt advice services
  • mental health services
  • Youth Support Service (helps young people into further education, training or employment)

Any information that you share with your key-worker will be kept secure and only shared with other professionals on a “need to know basis”.

Key-workers Code of Conduct

It is important for staff and residents to have a good working relationship, so there is a code of conduct that key-workers abide by. Key-workers cannot:

  • Give you lifts to places without there being a valid support need
  • Add you on Facebook or accept friend requests
  • Lend or give you money
  • Accept expensive gifts
  • Sell you anything or buy anything from you
  • Tell you where they live
  • Meet you outside of work
  • Give you their personal mobile number or email address
  • Give you lots of information about their personal life

How to progress

These are some of the ways you can progress beyond the Life Academy whilst you’re living at the Foyer.

You can get involved with:

  • The Princes Trust – a 12 Week Personal Development Course.
  • Leading Life Academy Sessions – an opportunity to lead sessions with Foyer staff to build confidence and share experiences.
  • South Cheshire and Reaseheath Colleges – a range of qualifications available.
  • Total People – a range of qualifications, including apprenticeships, NVQs and short courses.
  • Volunteering opportunities at the Foyer (customer services, catering or maintenance) and work experience placements with employers through Talentscape


 Key-workers will discuss resettlement with you within the first 6 weeks of you arriving. This doesn’t mean that you’ll be expected to start looking for somewhere else to live straightaway! It’s just that some people are ready for independent living immediately whereas other people benefit from the support that YMCA Crewe offer for up to 2 years.

Are you ready for resettlement?

You need to be:

  • paying rent
  • keeping your room clean
  • working towards and achieving the goals on your support plan
  • keeping to the rules
  • showing independent living skills
  • being a good neighbour to the other residents

Cheshire Homechoice

Most residents move out into social housing. The houses are owned by organisations such as Wulvern and Your Housing Group, but you bid for properties through the local council. The website is called Cheshire Homechoice and your key-worker will help you apply. Properties will come online every Wednesday before the cycle closes at midnight on Tuesday, and the sooner you bid then the better chance you’ll have!

You’ll also have a better chance depending on what band you are placed in. The bands go from A to E, with A being the highest priority and E being the lowest. The most common bands for residents to be placed in are:

  • E – residents are put on this band if they have unspent convictions, convictions within the past 12 months, serious rent arrears or have made themselves deliberately homeless by getting evicted for breaking rules. You can ask for the decision to be reviewed every 12 months.
  • C – residents are put on this band as they are living in supported accommodation. It’s not unheard of to be offered properties in this band but you can maximise your chances of resettlement by getting on to band B…
  • B – band B is only awarded when your key-worker signs a form that says you’re ready to move on from supported accommodation and reviewed by the team at the council. Ask your key-worker for more information.

Remember that there are 20,000 people on the waiting list for housing in Cheshire East! Show housing associations (and private landlords) you’d be a better tenant than the other applicants by:

  • being in credit with your rent account
  • engaging with support
  • taking part in activities
  • keeping your room clean
  • completing Foyer Foundations
  • abiding by the House Rules
  • being a good neighbour to the other residents


You can also move into private accommodation, but be aware that you aren’t entitled to much housing benefit when you’re under 25 so it might not be affordable for you.

What next?

Once you’ve been offered a property, there are several more stages…

  • References from landlords
  • Applying for furniture from the council (single bed, cooker, fridge). You may also need to apply for a deposit if you’re moving into private accommodation.
  • Getting together rent-in-advance. This will be a week’s worth if you’re moving into social housing (about £100) but could be a month’s worth if you’re moving into private accommodation!
  • Being referred for floating tenancy support


You can continue to access the Life Academy after you’ve left but you won’t be allowed to sign in as a visitor for at least 3 months. This is to encourage you to move on with your new life!